Vatican Clears New Zealand Cardinal John Dew of Abuse Allegations

(National catholic Register. Ac Wimmer).

A Vatican-led review of an abuse complaint against New Zealand Cardinal John Dew has concluded that no further Church inquiry is required, according to a statement by Archbishop Paul Martin of Wellington provided to CNA on Wednesday. The allegation of historical sexual abuse had been raised against Dew around the time he retired as archbishop of Wellington in May of last year. The archdiocese said on June 5 that New Zealand police had also conducted a lengthy inquiry that led to a decision not to file any charges. The accusations dated back to the 1970s and involved an alleged incident at St. Joseph’s Orphanage in Upper Hutt, roughly 20 miles northeast of Wellington, where Dew was serving as an assistant priest at the time.  “Cardinal Dew immediately stood aside from all public Church activities while the police investigated the allegations,” Archbishop Martin said.  “When the police advised in March that no charges would be laid, Cardinal Dew continued to stand aside while a separate Vatican review proceeded, using the Church’s international procedures for complaints against bishops.”

Continue reading..